Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How Much Do You Want for the Golden Goose?

I was somehow voted "Most Likely to Be Famous" by members of my college graduating class. I'm still bewildered, but it seems my peers' prophecy has come true. Check it out:


Yes, that's me, and my friend, Amy. She's the super chic one in the khaki trench, and I'm the one to the left pointing out the 17 varieties of M&Ms at Economy Candy. [The toggle coat adds 25 lbs. Or rather, I am probably carrying a little extra bulk on account of my sugar intake.] But look who made the front page of the "New York Times": this girl!

We were interviewed a week ago Sunday about the increase in candy consumption during the recession. How appropriate! I seem to continually circle back to my one-sided affair with anything sugar-related on this blog.  Apparently, I'm not the only one preoccupied with my sweet teeth these days.
Theories vary on exactly why. For many, sugar lifts spirits dragged low by the languishing economy. For others, candy also provides a nostalgic reminder of better times. And not insignificantly, it is relatively cheap.

“People may indulge themselves a little bit more when times are tough,” said Jack P. Russo, an analyst with the Edward Jones retail brokerage in St. Louis. “These are low-cost items that people can afford pretty easily."
And thanks to all who have texted, emailed, gchatted, facebooked, called, harrassed, poked, telegrammed, sent a messenger owl, etc. to me to alert me of my newfound fame. As Amy said, "this must be what Angelina Jolie feels like." 

If you have any further questions, would like to inquire about public appearances, or are interested in signing me to a candy endorsement deal, then all future correspondence will here on out be directed to my publicist, Lorraine Hornswaggle.

When Economy Sours, a Tootsie Roll Can Still Soothe the Soul [New York Times]