Saturday, December 19, 2009

The End is Nigh

It seems Y2K is upon us. New York is expected to receive up to a foot of snow, and the lines at my neighborhood grocery store prove that these "blizzard-like conditions" are clearly the onset of the apocalypse. I spent half an hour in the deli line, hovering over the buckets of gelatinous pasta salads, oily olives, and pink tomatoes (does anyone ever buy those?), waiting to order a half pound of turkey. With all the carts ramming into each other and customers shoring up in anticipation of an arduous trek across the Appalachian Trail, I grew anxious: Will I be locked in my apartment until my flight leaves on Tuesday? DEAR GOD, how will I entertain myself?!?

Thankfully, although my food supply is limited, I've got enough cultural sustenance to keep me occupied should clawing out through the fire escape be our only mode of escape.

I am armed with some episodes of "My So-Called Life" but most importantly, "Nanny Returns", Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus's sequel to their beloved "Nanny Diaries."

Since babysitting has been my primary job these past few months, I am delighted to read this, as I once really enjoyed the first novel. When I worked at the magazine, friends asked if my job were like "The Devil Wears Prada," and now, they inquire if the moms I encounter are as psychologically unhinged and materialistic as the dreaded Mrs. X.

Fortunately, I've got nothing but praise and sorority snaps for the families I know. This book picks up 12 years after Nanny, the titular babysitter, returns to NYC and encounters Grayer X, her former charge.

I'll fill you in once I know more. Lord knows, I've got the time. Stay warm.