Saturday, February 6, 2010

Not So Simple City

I have long given up on making New Year's resolutions because honestly, those are not going to come to fruition. My willpower manifests itself in strange ways, only sporadically it seems to complete small but The Most Important Endeavors of All Times. So really, I can't always harvest that power to say, limit my sugar intake or stop biting my nails. It's out of my control.

But this, friends, THIS is something I am determined to do:

Step one: Get a bike

Step two: Become reliant on said bike for most of my transportation needs.

Step three: Don't get hit by a car.

Step four: Do not allow bike to be stolen.

This idea, this whim to freely toodle about town with the wind whipping through my helmeted hair, my fingers whiteknucked on the handles, my bag in the basket, has been taking form since this summer, maybe even the spring.

And as much internet research I do, however many thrift stores I visit, as many times I pop into cycling shops to ask "what's the cheapest thing you've got?" and then they ask "how much do you want to spend?" and then I say "well, what's the cheapest thing you've got?" and then they steer me to the mid $200 range and I think "thank God, I didn't say $40," I'm still no closer to investing into my future beloved bike.

There is a shop in my neighborhood, devoted solely to bikes. The window selection rotates frequently, but I cannot get this one out of my mind.

BEHOLD:

Isn't it pretty?
Turquoise, sleek, minimal bells and whistles (I can add my own later).
Not so pretty? The cost. Upwards of $500.

Does it make me Nutella crepes? Recite 30 Rock quotes to me to entertain me? Come with a fresh bouquet of peonies each day? Alert me of oncoming traffic in my blindspot?

Didn't think so. Then carry on. I'm thisclose to asking the guys at the falafel place down the street where they got their dinky but speedy ones; that is all I need. That and some French pastries to go.

bike by Gary Fisher, Simple City