Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let's Hear it for New York

One of my college friends came to visit last week, on an exploratory visit to potentially move here, her first ever time to New York. She was a wonderful guest, one who was open to any and all suggestions about what to do here, and most importantly, she did not demand we eat out every single meal, thereby saving me a lot of money and pride for not having to turn tricks near Lincoln Tunnel.

We were walking around one day, in between pit stops to St. Patrick's and Times Square, when I told her what I've told many of my friends who ask me to be honest about living up here: "I can make a case on why you should live here and why you shouldn't. It depends on what argument you're looking for."

I make the argument to myself everyday, and it's very much like my reaction to Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind." I was discussing the merits of the song with a friend on Gchat one day. "However," I typed. "Alicia Keys is wrong. These streets don't make me feel brand new. I feel dirty and used up a lot. And, she's lying- there is a LOT you can't do. For instance, find a credible journalism job."

Then one week later, I could not stop from tour jete-ing and twirling around out one night when it came on twice within 15 minutes, maniacally happy that I live in the Greatest City in the World.


I'm Auntie Mame and then Eeyore, beyond delighted to occupy some of the most coveted real estate, and then mopey and grey the next.

I make an excellent tour guide, don't you think?